Mr. Demlong has been counseling and representing the insurance industry in Arizona, as well as other states, for over twenty years. He's litigated and tried cases in both the state and federal courts throughout the Southwest. He focuses his practice on insurance coverage matters, bad faith litigation and other insurance related matters. Bill's defense practice also includes defending individuals and entities in personal injury, general liability and professional malpractice matters as well. He has a long history of experience in both the life, health and disability insurance lines (including ERISA), as well as, the general liability, professional liability and surplus lines.
Over the years, Mr. Demlong has been an active supporter of the court system and has been appointed to several volunteer positions with the United States District Court for the District of Arizona. He has been a Lawyer Representative for the Ninth Circuit and has twice chaired a District Court's Magistrate selection committee. On the state level, Mr. Demlong has been appointed a judge pro tem for Maricopa County Superior Court.
Mr. Demlong has spoken numerous times at seminars on insurance related topics. He is also a contributing author to the Arizona Tort Handbook. Mr. Demlong is a recognized leader in his practice area. He has for several years been listed in SOUTHWEST SUPERLAWYERS® as an insurance specialist and has twice been designated one of top 50 lawyers in Arizona. Bill also has a AV® Preeminent Rating.
Mr. Demlong and his wife Susan have five children. They are active individuals with interests in endurance running, triathlons, and snow sports. Both are also active in Susan's charity Chances for Children Arizona, which provided fitness and nutrition programs to in Arizona schools in an effort to fight childhood obesity. Bill also has rock climbed, ice climbed and mountaineer in the Southwest and Pacific Northwest.
EDUCATION AND SCHOLASTIC ACTIVITIES:
- University of Texas School of Law (J.D., with Honors, 1988)
- Arizona State University (B.S. Accounting, 1982)
- Certified Public Accountant, Texas (March 1985 - present).
- Certified Law Enforcement Officer, Arizona (1994 - 2001)
- Mr. Demlong co-authored the chapters on Insurance Bad Faith, Punitive Damages and Construction Defect for the Arizona Tort Law Handbook.
- Co-edited revisions to Couch On Insurance 3d (Ch. 7 "Introduction to Group Health Insurance and Government Regulations", ERISA and Ch. 8 "Group Health Insurance: Rights and Obligations")
- "A Practical Guide To ERISA For Claims Examiners and Investigators" (June 1997) Sponsored by the Western Claims Conference.
- "What You Need to Know About Presenting and Defending ERISA Claims for Benefits" (February 1998) Sponsored by the Maricopa County Bar Association.
- "Analyzing and Handling of Insurance Claims Subject to Interpleader Actions" (February 2001) Sponsored by the Eastern Claims Conference.
- "Insurance Bad Faith Claims in Arizona" (2001, 2002) Sponsored by Lorman Education Services.
- "Disability Insurance Claims in Arizona" (2003) Sponsored by Lorman Education Services.
- "Insurance Bad Faith Claims in Arizona" (2003 - 2006) Sponsored by Lorman Education Services.
- "Attorney Professionalism" (2005) Sponsored by State Bar of Arizona and a Mandatory Course for all Newly Admitted Arizona Attorneys.
- "Attorney Professionalism" (2007, 2009, 2011) Sponsored by State Bar of Arizona and a Mandatory Course for all Newly Admitted Arizona Attorneys.
- Panelist, CLE by the Sea regarding the difference between State and District Court Litigation (2007) Sponsored by the Arizona State Bar
- "Bad Faith 101" (2012) Sponsored by National Business Institute
- "Accidental Death Claims" (2012) Sponsored by the International Claims Association
- "Current Development in Disability Claims" (2012) Sponsored by National Business Institute
- "Disability Claim Hot Topics" (2012) Sponsored by the International Claims Association
- American Bar Association
Member, TIPS Section
Past Member, Federal Procedure Committee
- Maricopa County Bar Association
United States District Court for the District of Arizona
Appointed a Court Arbitrator (2001-2004)
Member, Technology Committee (2002-2003)
Lawyer Representative, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals (2003-2007)
Chair, Lawyer Representative, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals (2006-2007)
Chair, Magistrate Selection Committee (2007, 2009)
- Listed in SOUTHWEST SUPERLAWYERS® (2009 - 2012)
- Listed in SUPERLAWYERS® Corporate Counsel Edition (2010 - 2012) for Insurance
- Listed in SOUTHWEST SUPERLAWYERS® for Insurance Law and designated one of Arizona's TOP 50 LAWYERS (2010, 2011)
- AV® PreeminentTM Rating
- American Bar Association
- Arizona Bar Association
- Nevada Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- International Claims Association
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel
- Arizona Association of Defense Counsel
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Member of Class IX, Tempe Leadership, Tempe, Arizona (1993-1994)
- Board of Directors, Tempe Leadership, Tempe, Arizona (1994-1999)
- President, Tempe Leadership, Tempe, Arizona (1997-1998)
- Reserve Police Officer, City of Tempe Police Department (1994-2001)
- Board Member, Tempe Communities in Schools, Tempe, Arizona (1999-2001)
- Board Member, The Centers for Habilitation, Tempe, Arizona (1999-2005)
- Vice-Chairman, The Centers for Habilitation, Tempe, Arizona (2003)
- Arizona, 1989
- Nevada, 2001
- United States Supreme Court, 2000
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 2003
- U.S. District Court District of Arizona, 1989