Tim Hyland is the managing shareholder in the firm of Kunz Plitt Hyland & Demlong. He has been representing the insurance industry in complex insurance coverage and litigation matters for over 25 years. He has extensive experience in the analysis and litigation of complex insurance claims and coverage in both the firstparty and thirdparty contexts. Mr. Hyland's expertise extends to many lines of insurance including automobile, property, general liability, professional responsibility, life, health and disability. He has also litigated substantial commercial business and personal injury matters.
Mr. Hyland has been selected for inclusion in the Southwest SuperLawyers since 2007 for insurance coverage and was also named one of the top 50 lawyers in Arizona. He has served as a Judge Pro Tem on the Arizona Court of Appeals. He is an rated as an AV Preeminent Attorney.
Mr. Hyland has served in a number of volunteer activities both professionally and in the community. Such activities include: service as a Delegate to the American Bar Association House of Delegates; participation on the Arizona Supreme Court Committee on Character and Fitness including a year as its Chair; and service on the Arizona State Bar Board of Governors and the Maricopa County Bar Association Board of Directors. Mr. Hyland has also served as a faculty member on several seminar panels both for the legal profession and in presentations to insurance clients.
LEGAL: University of Arizona, College of Law, Tucson, Arizona
J.D. awarded with High Distinction May 1985.
UNDERGRADUATE: Grand Canyon College, Phoenix, Arizona
B.A. Behavioral Science, emphasizing in Criminal Justice and Government (Dual Major) awarded with High Distinction,
- June 1989 - Present: Shareholder, Kunz Plitt Hyland & Demlong Civil litigation practice primarily in insurance coverage, personal injury, wrongful death, professional negligence, ERISA and contracts. Special emphasis on insurance bad faith, coverage and punitive damages.
- August 1986 - June 1989: Associate, Evans, Kitchel & Jenckes, P.C.
Civil litigation practice emphasizing insurance defense, insurance bad faith, homeowner associations, condemnation, construction and election law.
- August 1985 - August 1986: Law Clerk to Justice James Duke Cameron,
Arizona Supreme Court
- September 1984 - December 1984: Internship with Arizona Attorney General in Tucson
- January 1982 - May 1982: Legislative Intern in the Arizona House of Representatives to
the Transportation Committee, Rep. Pete Corpstein, Chairman; and the Government Operations Committee, Rep. James Ratliff, Chairman
STATE: State Bar of Arizona, November 1985.
FEDERAL: U.S. District Court of Arizona, December 1985.
Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, December 1985.
- Listed from 2007 to the Present
- Listed as a Top 50 Arizona attorney
Arizona Supreme Court
- Chairman, Committee on Character and Fitness (October 2008 to October 2009)
- Committee on Character and Fitness (2002 to 2009)
Arizona Court of Appeals
- Judge Pro Tem (1994)
Maricopa County Superior Court
- Hearing Officer Selection Committee (2000-2002)
- Maricopa County Civil Study Committee (1990-91)
Judicial Performance Review Team (2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010 and 2012)
American Bar Association
- Delegate to the American Bar Association
- House of Delegates (2001-2009)
- Fellow of the American Bar Association
- Delegate YLD Assembly (1992-96)
- Member, TIPS Section
- Member, Council of Appellate Lawyers
Arizona State Bar Association
- Board of Governors (1995-96)
- Quality of Life Committee Chair (1997-1999)
- Professionalism Committee (1995-96)
- Convention Committee (1997-2006)
- Patrons Program Cochair (2000-2006)
- Member, Appellate Section
Arizona State Bar Association Young Lawyers Division
- Young Lawyer of the Year (1998)
- Executive Council (1992 1997)
- Arizona YLD President (199596)
- Arizona YLD PresidentElect (1994-95)
- Legal Counsel Consultant, Arizona State Mock Trial Program (2001- present)
- Legal Counsel Coordinator, Arizona State Mock Trial Program (1996-2001)
- Legal Counsel Advisor, Arizona Mock State Mock Trial Program (1995-96)
- Regional Coordinator, Arizona State High School Mock Trial Competition (1989-1995)
Maricopa County Bar Association
- Robert M. Mills Member of the Year Award (1996 and 2003)
- Delegate to the ABA House of Delegates (2001-2009)
- Maricopa County Bar Association Board of Directors (1992-93; 1994-2001)
- Finance Committee (2000-2003)
- Membership Committee (1999-2001)
- Professional Development Committee (1999-2001)
- Policy Committee Chair (1998-2000)
- Quality of Life Committee (1995-1999)
- LRS Committee Discipline Chair (1995-1998)
- LRS Committee (1994-98)
- Technology Task Force Chair (1996-1998)
- Bylaw Committee (1997-2000)
- Barristers Ball (1993-1998)
- Section Task Force (1996-97)
Maricopa County Young Lawyers Division
- MCBA/YLD President (1992-93)
- MCBA/YLD President Elect (1991-92)
- MCBA/YLD Treasurer (1990-91)
- Liaison to MCBA Foundation (1992)
- Board of Directors (1988-1994)
- Regional Coordinator High School Mock Trial Competition (1988-1995)
- Judge High School Mock Trial Competition (1986-1988)
- Chairman, ABA/AMA Drug & Alcohol Abuse Committee (1990-1992)
- Chairman, Bar Admissions Committee (1988-1990)
- Chairman, Child Fair Committee (1988-1989)
- Instructor, High School Teaching Program (1987-1989)
- Instructor, Youth Drugs & Alcohol Program (1992-1994)
- Essay Contest Grader, Law Week (1990-1996)
- Phone A Lawyer, Law Week (1990-1996)
Arizona Bar Foundation
- 2006 recipient TOP PRO BONO ATTORNEYS IN ARIZONA award
- Attorney Award for Excellence in LRE (1998)
- LRE Committee (1999-2004)
- Faculty for LRE seminars
- Arizona Bar Foundation Fellow
Defense Research Institute
Arizona Association of Defense Counsel
Volunteer Lawyers Program
- Senior Warden and Vestry Member [governing Board] of All Saints Episcopal Church and Day School
- Camelback Del Este Homeowners Association Architectural Committee (1998-2007)
- Board Member of the Law College Association of the James Rogers College of Law, University of Arizona (2004-2007)
- The University of Arizona Phoenix Alumni Club (1996-2002)
- President (2001-2002)
- First Vice President (2000-2001)
- Second Vice President (1999-2000)
- Executive Committee (1999-present)
- Silent Auction Committee (1996-1999)
- Chair, Silent Auction Committee (1997 1999)
- Scholarship Committee (1997-2002)
- University of Arizona Alumni Plaza Fundraising Committee (2001-2003)
- Maricopa County Hearing Officer Selection Committee (2000-2002)
- Lay Reader/Chalice Bearer at All Saints Episcopal Church
- CoChair of the Video Project for the 100 Women and Minority Dinner Program (2000)
- Frank X. Gordon Literacy Center Advisory Board (1993-94)
- Grand Canyon College Alumni Board of Directors (1990-91)
- Finance subcommittee.
- City of Phoenix Aquatics Advisory Committee (1990-92)
- Chair of the Advisory Committee.
- City of Phoenix Aquatics Task Force (1985-86)
- Facilities subcommittee chairman.
- Arizona Tort Law Handbook, coauthor of the chapter on Insurance Bad Faith in the upcoming update.
- Couch on Insurance (3rd Ed. 2006), coeditor of Chapter 7 on ERISA.
- Changing Jobs Handbook, ABA Law Practice Management (1999) Contributing Editor.
- "The Dawson Decision", Facts and Findings, Vol. XIX, issue 4 (1992).
- "Punitive Damages in Insurance Bad Faith Cases" Arizona Bar Journal (1987).