WILLIAM M. DEMLONG
Mr. Demlong has specialized his practice in the litigation, both trial and appellate, of insurance matters, including ERISA matters, and complex commercial, construction defect and personal injury litigation.
Mr. Demlong’s practice involves the analysis and litigation of complex insurance claims and coverage in both the first-party and third-party context. He has litigated substantial commercial, construction defect and personal injury matters in both federal and state courts. Mr. Demlong has tried cases in Arizona, Nevada and Illinois and has also litigated matters in Louisiana, New Mexico and California. His insurance litigation practice has included all types of policies with particular emphasis on life, health, disability (including group policies and ERISA claims), general liability, construction defect, personal and commercial automobile, and personal and surplus lines.
Mr. Demlong devotes a substantial amount of his practice to defense of insurance bad faith and punitive damage claims against insurers. Mr. Demlong’s litigation practice is predominately in federal court, having litigated matters in the federal courts located in six different states. Mr. Demlong has also litigated in the state courts of four western states.
Mr. Demlong is very active within the United States District Court of the District of Arizona. He was an arbitrator for the District Court, a member of that Court’s Technology Committee and is past chair of the Arizona Lawyer Representative for the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. He also served as Chair of the District Court’s Magistrate Selection Committee on two occasions in that past several years.
Mr. Demlong has been active in community service over the years and has devoted a substantial amount of time to various boards and community groups. Mr. Demlong’s most unique volunteer service was as a reserve police officer for the City of Tempe where he volunteered hundreds of hours a year as patrol officer. Mr. Demlong has been a community leader in the City of Tempe for years with substantial service to a number of organizations based in that city. He has also been active in his wife Susan’s charity Chances for Children Arizona; this organization provides fitness and nutrition programs in Arizona schools in an effort to help fight childhood obesity.
Mr. Demlong has two children who share his sense of adventure. He and his children are accomplished rock and ice climbers. He has taught others the skills necessary to pursue these avocations as well. Mr. Demlong is also snowboards, hikes and mountaineers and enjoys a variety of other outdoor activities that the state of Arizona has to offer. Mr. Demlong has also completed in Ironman triathlon competitions and multiple half and full marathons over the last decade.
EDUCATION AND SCHOLASTIC ACTIVITIES:
University of Texas School of Law (J.D., with Honors, 1988)
Arizona State University (B.S. Accounting, 1982)
Certified Public Accountant, Texas (March 1985 – present).
Certified Law Enforcement Officer, Arizona (1994 – 2001)
- Mr. Demlong co-authored the chapter on Insurance Bad Faith for the soon to be published Arizona Tort Law Handbook.
- Co-edited revisions to Couch On Insurance 3d (Ch. 7 "Introduction to Group Health Insurance and Government Regulations", ERISA and Ch. 8 "Group Health Insurance: Rights and Obligations")
- “A Practical Guide To ERISA For Claims Examiners and Investigators” (June 1997) Sponsored by the Western Claims Conference.
- "What You Need to Know About Presenting and Defending ERISA Claims for Benefits" (February 1998) Sponsored by the Maricopa County Bar Association.
- "Analyzing and Handling of Insurance Claims Subject to Interpleader Actions” (February 2001) Sponsored by the Eastern Claims Conference.
- “Insurance Bad Faith Claims in Arizona” (May 2001) Sponsored by Lorman Education Services.
- “Insurance Bad Faith Claims in Arizona” (June 2002) Sponsored by Lorman Education Services.
- “Disability Insurance Claims in Arizona” (April 2003) Sponsored by Lorman Education Services.
- “Insurance Bad Faith Claims in Arizona” (June 2003) Sponsored by Lorman Education Services.
- “Insurance Bad Faith Claims in Arizona” (June 2004) Sponsored by Lorman Education Services.
- “Insurance Bad Faith Claims in Arizona” (February 2005) Sponsored by Lorman Education Services.
- "Attorney Professionalism" (June 2005) Sponsored by State Bar of Arizona and a Mandatory Course for all Newly Admitted Arizona Attorneys.
- "Insurance Bad Faith Claims in Arizona" (2006) Sponsored by Lorman Education Services.
- "Attorney Professionalism" (2007) Sponsored by State Bar of Arizona and a Mandatory Course for all Newly Admitted Arizona Attorneys.
- "Attorney Professionalism" (2009) Sponsored by State Bar of Arizona and a Mandatory Course for all Newly Admitted Arizona Attorneys.
- American Bar Association
Member, TIPS Section
Past Member, Federal Procedure Committee
- Maricopa County Bar Association
Past Chair, High School Teaching Program
Past Member, Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee
Past Member, Barrister’s Ball Committee
- United States District Court for the District of Arizona
Appointed a Court Arbitrator (2001–Present)
Member, Technology Committee (2002–Present)
Lawyer Representative, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals (2003-2007)
Chair, Lawyer Representative, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals (2006-2007)
Chair, Magistrate Selection Committee (2007, 2009)
- Listed in SOUTHWEST SUPERLAWYERS® (2009 - 2010)
- Listed in SUPERLAWYERS® Corporate Counsel Edition (2010) for Insurance Law
- Listed in SOUTHWEST SUPERLAWYERS® for Insurance Law and designated one of Arizona's TOP 50 LAWYERS (2010)
- AV® PreeminentTM Rating
- American Bar Association
- Arizona Bar Association
- Nevada Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Arizona Association of Defense Counsel
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Member of Class IX, Tempe Leadership, Tempe, Arizona (1993-1994)
- Board of Directors, Tempe Leadership, Tempe, Arizona (1994-1999)
- President, Tempe Leadership, Tempe, Arizona (1997-1998)
- Reserve Police Officer, City of Tempe Police Department (1994-2001)
- Volunteer of the Quarter, City of Tempe Police Department (1997)
- Board Member, Tempe Communities in Schools, Tempe, Arizona (1999-2001)
- Board Member, The Centers for Habilitation, Tempe, Arizona (1999-2005)
- Treasurer, The Centers for Habilitation, Tempe, Arizona (2002-2003)
- Vice-Chairman, The Centers for Habilitation, Tempe, Arizona (2003)
- Arizona, 1989
- Nevada, 2001
- United States Supreme Court, 2000
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 2003
- U.S. District Court District of Arizona, 1989