TIMOTHY R. HYLAND
Mr. Hyland has specialized his practice in the litigation, both trial and appellate, of insurance matters and complex commercial and personal injury litigation.
Mr. Hyland’s practice involves the analysis and litigation of complex insurance claims and coverage in both the first-party and third-party contexts. He has litigated substantial commercial and personal injury matters. His insurance litigation practice has included all types of policies with particular emphasis on life, health, disability (including group policies and ERISA claims), general liability, personal and commercial automobile, personal and surplus lines, and professional malpractice.
Mr. Hyland devotes a substantial amount of his practice to defense of insurance bad faith and punitive damage claims against insurers. He also has extensive appellate experience in all the foregoing areas.
EDUCATION AND SCHOLASTIC ACTIVITIES:
Universityof Arizona (J.D. with High Distinction, 1985)
- American Jurisprudence Award in Criminal Procedure
Grand Canyon College (B.A. Behavioral Science and Government (Dual Major) with High Distinction, 1982
JUDICIAL LAW CLERKSHIPS and INTERNSHIPS:
- Arizona Court of Appeals Judge Pro Tem
- Judicial Law Clerk for the Honorable James Duke Cameron, Arizona Supreme Court, 1985-1986
- Legislative Intern to the Chairman of the Committee on Government Operations, House of Representatives, Arizona State Legislature, 1982.
- Legislative Intern to the Chairman of the Committee on Transportation, House of Representatives, Arizona State Legislature, 1982.
- Mr. Hyland is co-authoring the chapter on Insurance Bad Faith for the soon to be published Arizona Tort Law Handbook.
- Co-editing revisions to Couch On Insurance 3d (Ch. 7 “Introduction to Group Health Insurance and Government Regulations”, ERISA; Ch. 8 “Group Health Insurance: Rights and Obligations;” and Ch. 9 “Reinsurance”)
- Contributing Editor, Changing Jobs Handbook, (ABA Law Practice Management, 1999)
- “Punitive Damages in Insurance Bad Faith” Arizona Bar Journal (1987)
- “Summary of the Arizona Dawson Case and How It Affects Legal Assistants” Facts and Findings, Volume XIX, Issue 4 (1992)
- “Disclosure and Discovery: the Attorney Client Privilege and Paralegals” (1994) Sponsored by the National Association of Nurse Consultants.
- “Bridge the Gap: Nuts and Bolts of Trial Practice” (June 1996) Sponsored by the Young Lawyers Division of the State Bar of Arizona.
- “Damron and Morris Agreements” (May 1998) Sponsored by the Maricopa County Bar Association.
- “Insurance Bad Faith, Can the Insurance Company Just Say No” (May 1999) Sponsored by the Maricopa County Bar Association.
- “CC&R Enforcement for Associations” (December 2000) clients of Lepin & Renehan Management Company.
- “Latest Trends in Insurance Law – Coverage for Acts of Terrorism What You Should Know” (May 2003) Sponsored by the Legal Assistants of Metropolitan Phoenix.
Provided in-house training seminar on bad faith to the following insurance companies:
- United Services Automobile Association
- Arizona Supreme Court
- § Committee on Character and Fitness (2002-Present)
- American Bar Association
- § Delegate to the American Bar Association House of Delegates (2001-Present)
- § Delegate YLD Assembly (1992-1996)
- § Fellow of the American Bar Association
- § Member, TIPS Section
- § Member, Council of Appellate Lawyers
- Arizona State Bar Association
- § Board of Governors (1995-1996)
- § Quality of Life Committee Chair (1997-1999)
- § Professionalism Committee (1995-1996)
- § Convention Committee (1997–Present)
- § Patrons Program Co-chair (2000–Present)
- § Member, Appellate Section
- Arizona State Bar Association Young Lawyers Division
- § Young Lawyer of the Year (1998)
- § Arizona YLD President (1995-1996)
- § Arizona YLD President–Elect (1994–1995)
- § Executive Council (1992–1997)
- Maricopa County Bar Association
- § Robert M. Mills Member of the Year Award 1996
- § Maricopa County Bar Association Board of Directors (1992–1993; 1994–2001)
- § Policy Committee Chair (1998-2000)
- § Quality of Life Committee (1995–1999)
- § LRS Committee Discipline Chair (1995-1998)
- § Technology Task Force Chair (1996-1998)
- Maricopa County Young Lawyers Division
- § MCBA/YLD President (1992–1993)
- § MCBA/YLD President Elect (1991–1992)
- § MCBA/YLD Treasurer (1990–1991)
- § Board of Directors (1988–1994)
- Foundation For Legal Services and Education
- § Attorney Award for Excellence in LRE (1998)
- § Fellow of the Foundation
- § LRE Committee (1999-Present)
- Maricopa County Superior Court
- § Hearing Officer Selection Committee (2000–2002)
- § Maricopa County Civil Study Committee (1990–1991)
- § Judicial Performance Review Team (2000 and 2002)